Utah Tech Logo

IT3300

DevOps virtualization

Install Proxmox

For this project you will install proxmox to two different physical servers. You will also create a virtual instance of proxmox.

See the equipment list here

Do not give your proxmox instances the same name. Make sure they are unique or you will have issues later (I named mine jproxmox1 and jproxmox2)

To install proxmox, it is fairly self-explanatory, but if you would like to see screenshots you can view them here. Look for the section that begins with Install Proxmox VE.

After you have successfully performed the install of proxmox and BEFORE you have installed any VM’s, cluster your proxmox your 2 instances together. Make sure that your cluster can see the storage appropriately.

You can lookup how to cluster them together looking in the manual. Essentially I opened a shell to one of the proxmox instances and ran pvecm create foocluster (foocluster is the name of the cluster, you can use whatever). Then I opened a shell on the other proxmox instance and issued pvecm add 144.38.xx.yy (the xx.yy is the ip address of the first proxmox node or the node where you created the cluster). Any subsequent proxmox instances will also use the pvecm add command.

Connect to my NFS iso share (given below).You will use this to install vm’s from later.

Connect to your TrueNas NFS share. For your disk images.

Now create a vm. On the vm, install another instance of proxmox (we need 3 instances to reliably do failover and HA). See the helps section below for how to nest a proxmox instance. Add it to your cluster.

Helps

To Pass off

Prove that you have created the hosts above. We will pass this off in class.